Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sharing Stories

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7

It has been a very full summer for the groups and interns in Lagosette. I was only there for a week this summer, but was so blessed by the amazing group of interns (and of course the Wallaces!!) who were pouring out their hearts in Haiti! I look forward to hearing more stories of how the Lord has been working in the lives of those who were blessed to visit and serve alongside our neighbors in Haiti and hope to share some of the stories over the coming weeks.

Visiting Lagosette this summer reminded me of the blessing of our time there as a family. One of my favorite memories in Haiti is teaching the story of David being anointed as king during our Sunday school class in Lagosette. I loved the simplicity of teaching the incredible stories God has given us in the Bible, with just a chalk board and a group of kids. We acted out the story of David and it was precious and became so real because Makenzie (second from the left in the picture at the top of the blog) got to play the part of David. At that time, Makenzie was one of the smallest kids in the Lagosette "gang" and was working hard to prove he was as tough as the other kids and that he could hold his own. He was a special little friend to our family and had been a patient in the clinic more than once getting sewn up after those moments of proving himself. Makenzie has more than his share of challenges......and an abundant share of joy, too!

I was telling the story in 1 Samuel 16 where Jesse brings his sons before Samuel waiting for God to show him who he has chosen as the next king. The older sons come up one by one and the Lord tells Samuel each time that this is not the one. "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart," (1 Samuel 16:7). David was the youngest and was not part of the original line-up. In fact, he was not even watching the process, he was looking after the sheep. He was the smallest, not considered by man, but he was the one chosen by God. That day, when we read that verse where the Lord says, "he is the one," and Makenzie got to walk in front of the class and know that he was special in the eyes of the Lord, it was not just a story it was the truth. Each of those children in class were and are special and seeing it acted out was a blessing I will always treasure. The Lord has used Makenzie in ways he will never know. There are so many children in Lagosette who have touched the lives of the visitors who came from the States to serve there. Those kids were not trying to change the world or find their calling, they were just sharing the love and joy in their lives with the people around them. I pray that we can be like those kids. I pray the Lord will use us in ways that we may never know, we will just be loving the people he brings into our lives and staying faithful to him each day......and let him take care of the rest. ;-)

If you were part of the summer program in the DR or Haiti and would like to share some of your memories, you can send me an email at monica@mannaglobalministries.org.

Blessings!!
Monica

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi Monica,

I am so happy I found your blog! I am Christolla & Dieunelson's mom & McKenzie is their bio brother.

The orphanage has not or will not give me an update or photos on the kids family & I would love any info on them that you could provide for us.

I thought the two middle boys in the photo at the top of your blog were possibly the kids brothers & now you have confirmed at least one of them is. Can you tell me if the other boys are their bio brothers as well?

Please contact me at lweeks@shaw.ca as I do want to be able to give the kids any info I can on their birth family. I do plan to bring the kids back to Haiti to meet their birth family again in a couple of years. They just started at a French immersion school so hopefully they will be able to communicate a bit when we do return.

Thanks so much, Laurie