Friday, August 20, 2010

Felicia Blocker, MGM Intern-Haiti

Felicia served as an intern in Haiti this summer. She also kept a blog of her experiences if you would like to know more you can check it out at: http://fmblocker.blogspot.com/

"Last year, when I found out that I was selected to be an intern in Haiti I was super excited, but I honestly didn't know what to expect. I wondered about the people that I would be working with. Would I get along with the other interns? I had heard so many negative things, and seen so many news stories about Haiti, that I also wondered if they were true.

When we arrived in Cap-Haitian I was struck by the extreme poverty, desperation, and need for things that we take for granted like food and clean water. Along with the need for basic necessities there was the need for housing, transportation, and education. Every time I think back over my initial reaction to Cap and Lagosette, I thank God for allowing me to live there for the summer. It took about a week to be able to shed that initial shock and really see Haiti for what she is. I saw adults who woke up each morning and went to work farming, washing, driving taxis, or selling food from a road side stand. I saw children eager to get to VBS, and excited, yes, I said excited to get to school with friends and neighbors. God opened my eyes so that I could see the Haitian people not as poor and destitute, but as brothers and sisters with the same physical, emotional and spiritual needs as me. I wanted to work alongside as many people as I could. I wanted to cook and share meals with as many people as possible. I wanted to just sit and talk about the day with as many people as possible.

One of my favorite memories from the summer was the day that four guys from the church in Lagosette got baptized. After church the interns got on the Daihatsu, and drove through the village. The kids saw the truck driving down the road, and jumped on the back. They probably didn't know where we were going, but they hopped on, excited about a free ride on the Daihatsu. It wasn't long before we had a full load on the truck, and someone began to sing classic hymns like "Power in the Blood," and "How Great Thou Art." Maybe it was the Holy Spirit, maybe it was because the songs were in Creole, but for some reason, the singing that came from the back of the Daihatsu as we bumped along the dusty roads in Lagosette was truly incredible. By the time we reached the river the entire town had shown up. The guys came down one by one and were baptized by the pastor, and made into new creations by God. What an awesome day!
This summer I found out a lot about myself and what the body of Christ really looks like. I still can't believe that the Lord thought enough of me to place me in the midst of such strong Christians in order to learn from them and grow in my own relationship with Him. I am truly thankful."

Be strong and courageous,
Felicia

No comments: